Burbank, Calif., PRNewswire (June 19, 2012) – The Walt Disney Studios announced today that production for Disney’s Maleficent began Wednesday, June 13th. The film will star Academy Award® winning actress Angelina Jolie as Maleficent, a fictional character and main antagonist in Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.
In his first directional debut, 2-time Oscar®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland) and produced by Joe Roth and written by Linda Woolverton (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast) and is executive produced by Jolie, Don Hahn, Matt Smith and Palak Patel.
This is the untold story of Disney’s most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic “Sleeping Beauty.” The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora.
Jolie’s co-stars with Sharlto Copley (District 9), Elle Fanning (Super 8), Sam Riley (On the Road), Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake), Miranda Richardson (The Hours), Juno Temple (Atonement) and Lesle Manville (Secrets and Lies).
Behind-the-scenes talent includes Academy Award®–winning cinematographer Dean Semler (Dances with Wolves, In the Land of Blood and Honey), production designer Gary Freeman (Saving Private Ryan, The Bourne Supremacy), two-time Oscar® nominated costume designer Anna B. Sheppard (Schindler’s List, The Pianist) and seven-time Academy Award–winning makeup artist Rick Baker (Planet of the Apes, Men in Black).
In a statement made to Entertainment Weekly, Jolie states:
“I’ve already got my horns fitted. My kids are very happy.”
The horns appearance isn’t as sinister as I expected and check out those awesome cheekbones and please note, that this will be a live-action family movie, and should not be anticipated as a horror film. Jolie also mentions that there is actually something good for young girls in the film–not because Maleficent is an ultra-villain–but because “she’s not perfect.” Overall, the film will indeed have a good message in it for younger audiences, but we will have to wait until sometime in 2014 before we have an opportunity to see it. Angelina Jolie as Maleficent is scheduled to be released March 14, 2014 in 3-D.
Source: PRNewswire, Walt Disney Studios
Latest posts by AIDY (see all)
- Unleash CHAOS When ALYCE KILLS Comes to DVD August 20 - 06/19/2013
- DVD Review: NAILBITER - 06/18/2013
- Game Of Thrones: THE BEER Take the Black Stout - 06/17/2013
- ‘Brave’ Soundtrack Will Feature an Ancient Scottish Sound Pixar Planet (May 21, 2012) A third original song plays during...
- ‘Paperman’ to Debut Before ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Burbank, California (June 15, 2012) –This past Friday, Walt Disney...
- NEW TRAILER: John Cryer in Disney’s ‘Planes’ TAKING TO THE SKIES! Emmy Award Winning Actor JOHN CRYER...
- Disney, Gaiman Movie Deal for ‘The Graveyard Book’ Disney has sealed a six figure deal for bestselling children’s...