- DVD Review :
Season Five of MAD MEN, four-time Emmy® winner for Outstanding Drama Series and winner of three consecutive Golden Globes®, plunges into the seductive and intriguing world of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. Jon Hamm and the rest of the award-winning cast continue to mesmerize as they adapt to changing times and social revolution.
Meet the “mad men” of Sterling Cooper Draper Price.
MAD MEN SEASON 5 (4-disc)* Lionsgate – The fifth season of Mad Men is an excitable ride. Within and beyond the walls of the Sterling Cooper Draper Price advertising agency seemingly exists self absorbed, and unpleasant moments of adultery, alcoholism, sexism, bigotry, and double crossing to rise within the ranks. Mad Men is a great show defined by a great cast and real issues that affect the world during the mid to late 60′s, and those who love a mixture of scandalous entertainment should definitely tune into AMC for the sixth season, set to air in early 2013.
Because it is a period drama, there are aspects about the show that may be shocking in the modern day perspective such as the blatant sexism expressed towards the secretaries in the office, as well as in various social settings. Racial issues were heated during the 1960s, and this transitioning aspect of American society is accurately presented through the use of certain terms used to identify African Americans, and the fact there are hardly any people of color present in the show, or not in prominent positions. Luckily, the 1960s brought in rapid social and cultural changes, and with these changes, the characters are forced to cope with these transitions the only way they know how–through affairs and alcohol to adjust, unsuccessfully.
An excellent character study.
Mad Men provides an excellent character study. The characters themselves are very much like real people; the men enjoy the power they wield, the copious amounts of money they make, and the privilege they carry because they are rich–and white. The women in the series are beautiful, and are fighting cultural oppression to be respected in a world that has been conditioned to think very little of them. The setting of an ad agency is significant due to the beauty and the entrancement these ads at the time had over the populace; the staff at the SCDP all has fabricated or untrue identities much like the ads they create for their clients.
There are 4-discs in the DVD set and more than enough to be thoroughly entertained. Revisit all of your favorite moments from the fifth season, including the playfully sultry performance of “Zou Bisou Bisou” by Don Draper’s (Jon Hamm) wife Megan (Jessica Paré). The special features are greatly detailed and provides great insight behind the inspiration for the show, the events occurring in the time period of the program, and even the thoughtful box art underneath the cover sleeve is explained. Since alcohol is a major part of Mad Men, an advertisement for Canadian Club (a whiskey brand) is included within the box set with two scrumptious drink recipes.
Overall, Mad Men Season Five 4-disc set is a deliciously provocative series collection. A collection fans of the show won’t want to miss.
Mad Men Season 5 special features include:
- Mad Men Say the Darnedest Things – Take a look at the best one-liners from the series and perhaps you will see your favorite.
- What Shall I Love if Not the Enigma? A glance into the life and work of metaphysical artist Giorgio de Chirico.
- The Party of the Century - Author Deborah Davis and legendary bandleader Peter Duchin take you inside Truman Capote’s infamous Black and White Masquerade Ball.
- Scoring Mad Men: Inside a Session – Join composer David Carbonarra, orchestrator Geoff Stradling and sound engineer Jim Hill in the recording studio as they discuss their formula for scoring MAD MEN.
- The Uniform Time Act of 1966 - A pictorial time line that explores the history of Daylight Savings Time and its official observance in the United States.
- Newsweek Magazine Digital Gallery – A selection of Newsweek Magazine covers share the top news stories from around the world in 1966.
- Commentaries - Matthew Weiner and the cast and crew of Mad Men take viewers behind the scenes in feature-length audio commentaries for all 13 episodes.
Source AMCs Mad Men
- editor rating5
Latest posts by AIDY (see all)
- Unleash CHAOS When ALYCE KILLS Comes to DVD August 20 - 06/19/2013
- DVD Review: NAILBITER - 06/18/2013
- Game Of Thrones: THE BEER Take the Black Stout - 06/17/2013
- An Interview With Jennifer Westfeldt and Jon Hamm Jennifer Westfeldt directs and stars in the romantic comedy Friends With...
- Once Upon A Time: Season Premiere – Review Once Upon A Time is a new, “grown-up” fairy tale TV series...
- Boss: Season One – Review Betrayal starts from within. Kelsey Grammer, Boss: Season One - Boss...
- GRIMM Season One Premiere – Review NBC’s GRIMM is a new drama series inspired by The Brother’s Grimm classic fairy tales....