Passion. Out of control.
Jin-ho Hur‘s Dangerous Liaisons (2012) The libertine 18th Century French classic Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos has scandalized readers and audiences around the world for centuries wherever it has been adapted for stage of screen. Most notable adaptation is the 1988 Dangerous Liaisons starring Glenn Close, John Malkovich, and Michelle Pfeiffer as a trio of incredibly wealthy and bored aristocrats in 1760s France who delve in a game of debauchery and betrayal. Now, there is a Chinese version of Laclos masterpiece.
Synopsis: In the 1930s, the Japanese invasion of China was well underway Japanese troops had the Manchurian homelands in the Northeast of China under the jack boot, and their designs on the rest of the country were clear. Yet in Shanghai, the hedonistic rich continued to live and play like there was no tomorrow.
The story Dangerous Liaisons is replete with sex, lies, and danger surrounding the actions of the dashing playboy Xie Yifan (Dong-gun Jang) who is a hunter of women, and his victim is the glamorous socialite Mo Jieyu (Cecilia Cheung), who easily baits men with her beauty. Both are players on the Shanghai scene. When Mo Jieyu’s husband, Jin Zhihuan leaves her for an innocent Beibei (Wang Yijin), Mo is rightfully distraught and she wants to take revenge on Zhihuan. So Mo enlists the talents of Fan to seduce Beibei–ensaring Fan in a deadly cycle of revenge. But there is just one problem–Beibei is in love with her handsome painting teacher, Dai Wenzhou (Dou Xiao).
Click an Image to enlarge
As war looms in Shanghai, can Xie win Mo’s seductive game? Can he choose between these two women? Where will such a triangle lead them all? In matters of the heart, and in this city, there may be no difference between love and war.
Director Jin-ho Hur debuted with the 1998 film Christmas in August, a South Korean romance film that follows a photographer who realizes that he is suffering from an illness, and the developing romance evolves into a transcending melodrama of unrequited romance. Christmas in August received an invitation to Cannes Film Festival Critiques Section and won five awards including Best Film, and Best New Director from the 18th Blue Dragon Award (the Korean Oscar).
#CheckOut Jin-ho Hur’s trailer DANGEROUS LIAISONS in selected theaters Friday, November 9, 2012.
Source Well Go Entertainment
Latest posts by AIDY (see all)
- Unleash CHAOS When ALYCE KILLS Comes to DVD August 20 - 06/19/2013
- DVD Review: NAILBITER - 06/18/2013
- Game Of Thrones: THE BEER Take the Black Stout - 06/17/2013
- Lust Caution (Se, jie) – Review Espionage. Intrigue. Lust Caution (Se, jie) is a movie where espionage...
- NEW TRAILER: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘MAMA’ Happy Mother’s Day? Andres Muschietti‘s MAMA (2013) shouldn’t be confused with the TV series...
- NEW TRAILER: Depp, Hammer in ‘The Lone Ranger’ (2013) Tonto (Johnny Depp) and the Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer) ...
- NEW TRAILER: Bigelow’s ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ The greatest manhunt in history. Sony Pictures ‘Zero Dark Thirty ‘...