Three Early Lombard Classics Coming to DVD for First Time Ever
TCM Spotlight‘s actress Carole Lombard with a new DVD collection that features Lombard in the early part of her career playing dramatic roles and romantic ingénues. In January, fans of the beloved actress will have the chance to enjoy three of those rarely seen performances when Turner Classic Movies (TCM) home entertainment releases the Carole Lombard in the ’30s DVD set. Lombard, whose life was cut short by a tragic plane accident in 1942, demonstrated a sparkling presence and sharp timing from the very beginning of her career.
Carole Lombard in the ’30s will be available exclusively through TCM’s online store as part of the TCM Vault Collection, beginning Monday, Jan. 21. The set includes fully restored and re-mastered editions of:
• No More Orchids (1932) – In this romantic drama, Carole Lombard plays a spoiled heiress who falls in love with a struggling lawyer despite her arranged marriage to a European prince.
• Brief Moment (1933) – The class conscious formula is reversed as Lombard plays a nightclub singer trying to convince her rich playboy finance to abandon his party going lifestyle in favor of a respectable livelihood.
• Lady by Choice (1934) – Released the same year as Lombard’s breakout role in the screwball classic Twentieth Century, this touching drama casts the actress as a fan dancer who adopts a feisty elderly woman with a police record. Lombard shines in one of her best early roles.
The collection also features an introduction by TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz and extensive on-screen digital bonus materials, including production stills, behind-the-scenes photos, lobby cards, movie posters and more.
Carol Lombard in the ’30s, a brilliant DVD collection fans will enjoy watching three of those rarely seen performances when Turner Classic Movies (TCM) home entertainment releases the Carole Lombard in the ’30s DVD set, January 21, 2013.
Image Source Alfred Eisenstaedt
Latest posts by AIDY (see all)
- TCM Spotlight: Jean Arthur Jean Arthur - (May 14, 2012) - Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Sony...
- TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Turner Classic Movies (TCM) celebrates legendary actress and singer Doris Day by airing...
- TCM Spotlight: Frank Capra The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) Turner Classic Movies...
- TCM Spotlight: Joan Crawford Turner Classic Movie spotlight is on actress Joan Crawford, who’s remarkable...