Turner Classic Movies (TCM) – Remembers Oscar®-winning actor Ernest Borgnine by hosting a 24-Hour Marathon beginning Thursday, July 26, 2012. The marathon starts with the classic film From Here to Eternity (1953), where Borgnine played Sgt. ‘Fatso’ Judson; The Dirty Dozen (1967) as General Worden, The Wild Bunch (1969), as Dutch Engstrom and Oscar®-Winning Performance in Marty (1955). In addition to the TCM Special hosted by Robert Osborne. Borgnine passed away on Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the age of 95. Borgnine was a feature at many of TCM community events via appearances during the TCM Classic Film Festival, on the TCM Classic Cruise and during TCM’s annual Road to Hollywood tour.
“Ernest Borgnine was a great friend of ours here at TCM, an actor we all greatly admired because of his talent and ability to play everything from nasty tough guys to likeable fathers to comical sailors,” said Osborne. “We saw firsthand how much he loved life, loved being an actor and enjoyed meeting his fans when he joined us at our TCM Classic Film Festival, TCM Classic Cruise and Road to Hollywood events. He was a joy to be around. Thank heavens for film. Ernie may have left us physically, but we’ll have his talent and film image with us forever.”
The TCM film memorial tribute (10-films) is set to begin eastern time at 6 PM with The Catered Affair (1956). The daytime lineup includes:
- 6 AM – The Catered Affair (1956) – with Bette Davis and Debbie Reynolds.
- 8 AM - The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968) – with Kim Novak and Peter Finch.
- 10:30 AM - Pay or Die (1960) – with Zohra Lampert and Al Austin.
- 12:30 PM - Torpedo Run (1958) – with Glenn Ford and Diane Brewster.
- 2:30 PM - Ice Station Zebra (1968) – with Rock Hudson and Patrick McGoohan.
- 5:15 PM - The Dirty Dozen (1967) – with Lee Marvin, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Charles Bronson, Donald Sutherland, George Kennedy and Telly Savalas.
- 8:00 PM - Private Screenings: Ernest Borgnine (2009) – hosted by Robert Osborne.
- 9 PM - Marty (1955) – with Betsy Blair and Joe Mantell.
- 10:15 PM – From Here to Eternity (1953) – with Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Donna Reed and Frank Sinatra.
- 1 AM - The Wild Bunch (1969) – with William Holden, Robert Ryan, Edmond O’Brien, Warren Oates and Ben Johnson.
- 3:30 AM - Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) – with Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Anne Francis, Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan and Lee Marvin.
- 5 AM - Private Screenings: Ernest Borgnine (2009) – hosted by Robert Osborne.
*The above is a complete schedule of TCM’s Thursday, July 26, tribute to Ernest Borgnine (all times Eastern).
- TCM Spotlight: Kim Novak 2012 TCM Classic Film Fest honors actress KIM NOVAK in multi-tiered celebration...
- TCM Spotlight: Andy Griffith Turner Classic Movies Spotlight legendary actor Andy Griffith (1926 – 2012) died...
- TCM Spotlight: Debra Winger TCM Guest Programmer (TCM) - (May 15, 2012) – Three-time Oscar®...
- TCM Spotlight: Anthony Bourdain Master chef Anthony Bourdain will present a menu of four memorable films...