The war on drugs has never been about drugs.
Eugene Jarecki is known for his thought provoking documentaries; Why We Fight–a poignant disclosure into the U.S. military-industrial complex and how propaganda convinces the public to support the war for the purpose of maintaining dominance. Reagan centered around the presidency of Ronald Reagan, his policies, and the idolization of the nation’s 4oth President. Jarecki’s latest documentary, The House I Live In, could prove to be one of his most evocative debut yet.
Millions of Americans are incarcerated either for drug trafficking or drug possession every year. For years, the public was told strict action had to be taken to eliminate the issue of drugs and drug pushers from society. However, Jarecki proposes a specific look on the War on Drugs–it targets the impoverished and the unprecedented societal actualization, that a hierarchy exists composed of law enforcement and pharmaceutical companies that stand to profit from each arrest.
Comprehensive in scope, heart wrenching in its humanity, and brilliant in its thesis, Jarecki’s new film grabs viewers and shakes them to their core. The House I Live In is not only the definitive film on the failure of America’s drug war, but it is also a masterpiece filled with hope and the potential to effect change. This film is surely destined for the annals of documentary history.” - Sundance.org
Several perspectives are presented in the documentary–from inmates, judges, police officers, and the drug dealers themselves. Interviewees discuss just how these misguided policies affect American society as a whole when it comes to the justice system and how it deals with the families of the imprisoned. Jarecki’s hope is to influence change in the system and create cultural awareness when it comes to the overall perception of drugs.
Jarecki’s been featured at the Sundance Film Festival, starting with his first short film Season of the Lifterbees in 1993. The Trials of Henry Kissinger won the Grand Jury Prize in 2005, as well as a Peabody Award for Why We Fight that same year.
Latest posts by AIDY (see all)
- DVD Review: DARK CIRCLES - 05/24/2013
- PUSSY RIOT: A PUNK PRAYER Coming Exclusively to HBO in June - 05/23/2013
- DVD Review: Pacino, Walken, Arkin in STAND UP GUYS - 05/21/2013
- NEW TRAILER: The Perks of Being a Wallflower We are infinite. Summit Entertainment (June 5, 2012) Critically acclaimed novel, The Perks...
- NEW TRAILER: BRANDED ‘Take Back Your Mind’ Break the code! Take back your mind! Imagine that there...
- Live In Maid (Cama adentro) – Review Life is a habit. If nothing else. Live In Main...
- NEW TRAILER: Daniel Craig in ‘Skyfall’ Skyfall (May 21, 2012) - Daniel Craig returns as the gritty...