“A roller-coaster ride of joy, doubt, and romance in the digital age.”
Benjamin Cleary‘s short-film STUTTERER (2015) joins the Oscar® 2016 short list for “live-action” short of The Year*. (*Winner for best “live-action” short Oscars 2016) The film is the brainchild of three filmmakers, writer/director Benjamin Cleary, producer Shan Christopher Ogilvie and producer Serena Armitage, about a young man’s difficulties dating with a severe stutter. The film was made on a shoestring budget of just five thousand pounds (about 7,400 US), and the director rented his room for two months and slept on a friend’s couch, so every penny could be put into making the film.
Matthew Needham (Sherlock TV series) stars as “Greenwood,” with Chloe Pirrie, and Eric Richard.
Greenwood has a cruel speech impediment, but his inner voice is eloquent and witty. He lives and works alone and avoids speaking at all costs. Apart from his aging father, Greenwood has only one connection to the external world in the form of an online relationship with a girl called Ellie. One night, Ellie asks him if he would like to take things “offline” and meet in person. Greenwood is suddenly facing a real daunting proposition with everything at stake.
Written, Directed & Edited by: Benjamin Cleary
Produced by: Serena Armitage & Shan Christopher Ogilvie
Director of Photography: Michael Paleodimos
Original Music by: Nico Casal
Sound Editor: Gustaf Jackson
Foley Artist: James Latimer
Country: United Kingdom & Ireland
*Here are the Live Action Short films in contention, listed in alphabetical order by title, along with their production company:
- “Ave Maria,” Basil Khalil, director, and Eric Dupont, producer (Incognito Films)
- “Bad Hunter,” Sahim Omar Kalifa, director, and Dries Phlypo, producer (A Private View)
- “Bis Gleich (Till Then),” Philippe Brenninkmeyer, producer, and Tara Lynn Orr, writer (avenueROAD Films)
- “Contrapelo (Against the Grain),” Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, director, and Pin-Chun Liu, producer (Ochenta y Cinco Films)
- “Day One,” Henry Hughes, director (American Film Institute)
- “Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut),” Patrick Vollrath, director (Filmakademie Wien)
- “The Free Man (Zi You Ren),” Quah Boon-Lip, director (Taipei National University of the Arts)
- “Shok,” Jamie Donoughue, director (Eagle Eye Films)
- “Stutterer,” Benjamin Cleary, director (Bare Golly Films)
- “Winter Light,” Julian Higgins, director, and Josh Pence, producer (Innerlight Films and Prelude Pictures)
Art and supplementary materials courtesy ©2015 of Benjamin Cleary. All rights are reserved.